Tonight Bob Van Valzah dropped in for a long session on Bitcoin & Digital Currencies which turned into the second half of a six-part series on Digital Currencies.
This episode covers:
- A quick review of Blockchain technology.
- What is a fiat currency?
- How do cryptocurrencies differ from traditional currencies?
- Money as a store of value.
- Commodity money, where a currency is backed by, and can be traded for the precious metal.
- How fiat money derives its value.
- How governments manipulate the money supply to meet their own needs.
- We discussed the failings of the paper-based fiat currencies.
- How credit cards overcome some of these issues.
- The advantages of cryptocurrencies over paper-based fiat currencies.
- Physical Bitcoins produced as a stunt, and the issues with them.
- Using Bitcoin as a way to move money easily across borders.
- Advantages of bitcoin mining rate, as a counter to inflation and currency manipulation.
- Four-year correction in Bitcoin production, with rate halving, 16M today with 21M by 2040.
- How Bitcoins are divisible into 100M pieces, called Satoshis.
More to come in part 5…
Interested in evaluating Solarflare’s ServerLock Firewall in the NIC technology?
Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org